Termite Prevention Tips
Licensed & Insured Termite Control
After the harshness of winter, spring can never come soon enough. Termites are thinking the same thing. Spring is the most popular time of the year for termite infestations. The weather begins to warm and with it oftentimes comes a dampness and rainy period that allows for termites to flourish.
Spring is prime termite season, as it is when they begin to establish themselves with new colonies, typically is residential areas. There have been cases where real bad infestations have ruined the foundations of homes. Termites have the ability to chew through wood and flooring almost undetected for years, which can lead to tremendous future costs. Avoid these sort of issues by learning how to prevent them from infesting in the first place.
How To Help With Home Termite Control
Steps For Prevention
Termite control should ultimately be left up to the pros, but here are some helpful tips to help with termite control in the home.
- Eliminate or reduce the moisture that is in and around your home. These are habitats that termites thrive in.
- Repair any leaks with faucets, water pipes and exterior A/C units. This prevents any further buildup of standing areas of water.
- Repair rotted roof shingles and fascia. Damp and mildewed wood is a great place for termites.
- Replace and weather stripping and loose mortar from around the windows and basement foundation. This limits their access into your home.
- Make sure your downspouts, gutter and splash blocks are diverting all the water away from your house. If they are not working properly, that could allow for water to infiltrate the foundation of your home and make for a perfect nesting ground for termites.
- Inspect the foundation of your home regularly. Look for signs of mud tubes, which are used by termites to reach their food sources. Also while inspecting, look for any uneven or bubbling paint. And be sure to tap on wood, because if it sounds hollow it could be due to termite damage.
- Monitor any exterior areas of wood for noticeable changes. This includes door frames, windows or skirting boards.
- There should be a roughly 18 inch gap between the soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Store your firewood at least 20 feet from your home to ensure that, if termites infest the wood, they are not too near your home.
Termite Control Experience
Call For A Free Termite Control Estimate
These do-it-yourself measures are simple and easy to follow. However, properly identifying the termites is an essential step in the control process. If you inspect your home and believe you may have an infestation of termites, do not delay. Contact the professionals at Bluesway Pest Control today! The number to call is 914-968-8404. We will gladly answer any questions or concerns you may have about our termite control services. We can even provide you with a free termite control estimate.