Do's & Don'ts of Termite Control
Bluesway Pest Control offers people throughout upstate New York with reliable termite control services. Termites have the ability to eat your home from the ground up, inside out. Any wooden floors, 2x4's inside walls and sill plate running along the foundation are subject to these pests. There are a few preventative measures you can take to keep out these wood destroying insects. However, some measures work better depending on the layout of your home. For instance, if you have a finished basement, i.e., fixed ceiling, sheet rock covering foundation walls, carpeted or tiled floors, we would recommend a termite bait system program such as the Advance Termite Bait System (ATBS). If by chance your basement is unfinished, we can apply a liquid termiticide such as Phantom.
What To Do When You Discover Termites In Your Home
- When dealing with termites, reduce the amount of moisture around the outside of your house. Moisture attracts termites. Check for leaking spigots and clogged gutters and have them corrected. Create proper ventilation in areas of the house where moisture is likely to develop, especially if your house has a crawl space underneath it.
- Look for any cracks on the concrete foundation and seal them. This will prevent termites from entering into the wood through the crack.
- Another option is to fill in the gaps or cracks with sand, as termites cannot build colonies where there is fine sand.
- While replacing compromised wooden structures, consider switching them out for juniper, cedar or redwood, as termites prefer them least (Termites love pine).
- There is also the possibility of termites returning years later after a termite treatment, nothing last forever. Conduct yearly termite home inspections to any problems at an early stage.
What NOT To Do When You Discover Termites In Your Home
- When you discover a colony of termites on the perimeter of your home, it is best to leave the colony alone. Disturbing the colony may drive them even closer, perhaps into your home.
- Don’t attempt to exterminate a termite colony on your own, as some chemicals can be hazardous to humans, plants and pets; as can inexperience handling the chemicals.
- Don’t use mulch around the house. It is a great a source of food and water for termites. Elect instead for rubber mulches, as an alternative to the wooden variety.
- Do not store lumber or waste on your property. This will only attract termites.
Affordable Termite Control Services
It is important to be able to properly identify termites. That way you can effectively set a plan of control. If you are unsure of what to do, don't worry because the experts at Bluesway Pest Control are just a call away. If you are interested in our services, please contact us today by calling: (914) 968-8404. We will answer any questions or concerns you may have about controlling the termites or any other bug problem you may be experiencing.